WILFRED M. WALDER, JR CREW - 427th BS
(crew assigned 427BS: 30 Jan 1945 - photo: 19 March 1945)
2Lt Wilfred M. Walder, Jr. (P)(1),
2Lt John E. Roche (CP)(2),
F/O (2Lt) John Wolansky (N)(3),
F/O (2Lt) Arthur E. Short (B)(4)
T/Sgt Roy H. Engelhardt (E)(5),
S/Sgt Francis M. Gibbons (R)(6),
S/Sgt David Doles, Jr. (BTG)(7),
Sgt Donald C. Mitchell (TG)(8)
Original Crewmen not in photo - Sgt Winston C. Teter (WG)(KIA)(9)
(crewmen are not in order)
-Sgt Winston C. Teter
(WG) - 19 February 1945, Mission #317 to
Gelsenkirchen, Germany in B-17G #42-39885 Sweet Rose O'Grady (427BS)
GN-R. Body returned to Molesworth. Buried at the American National
Cemetery at Cambridge, England. Was on his 4th combat mission.
- 1Lt Wilfred M. Walder, Jr. (P) - Flew 24 combat missions. Last mission
17 April 1945 as a Lead Crew Pilot. Flew 4 missions as a Lead Crew
CoPilot. Had a Spot Jammer on 3 missions and a Y-Operator on 6 missions
- F/O John E.Roche - Flew 24 missions. Last seven missions with other
Pilots. Last mission on 25 April 1945.
- 2Lt John Wolansky (N) - Flew 21 missions - Last 5 with other Pilots.
Last mission on 16 April 1945.
- F/O Arthur E. Short (B) - Flew 19 missions - 5 with other pilots. Last
mission on 17 April 1945.
- S/Sgt Roy H. Engelhardt (E) - Flew 23 missions all with Lt Walder Crew.
Last mission on 17 April 1945.
- S/Sgt Francis M. Gibbons (R) - Flew 24 missions . Last mission on 25
April 1945 as member of a Lead Crew.
- S/Sgt David Doles (BTG) - Flew on 22 missions - Last 3 as Lead Crew
Waist Gunner. Last mission on 17 April 1945.
- Sgt Donald C. Mitchell (TG) - Flew on 22 missions all with the Lt
Walder Crew. Last Mission on 17 April 1945.
- Waist Gunner - After Sgt Teter's Death on 19 February 1945 the Walder
Crew had substitute Waist Gunners on 13 missions. Flew with an eight man
crew, with no Waist Gunner, on 8 missions.
[photo courtesy of Mark Forlow]
[Researched by 303rdBGA Historian Harry D. Gobrecht]