MAX B. HAMILTON CREW - 427th BS
B-17G #42-37875 Flying Bison (427BS) GN-A
(crew assigned 427BS: 13 June 1944 - photo: 1 July 1944)
2Lt Charles W. Ziesche (B)(3),
2Lt Max B. Hamilton (P)(*),
2Lt Charles F. Scholz (N)(2),
2Lt Vernon V. Newman (CP)(1)(*),
Sgt John D. Privette (WG)(4)
S/Sgt Edward B. Butler (WG/E)(6)(*),
S/Sgt Richard E. Patterson (BTG)(*),
T/Sgt Charlie Barnes (E/WG)(5)(*),
S/Sgt Warren M. Coleman (TG)(*),
T/Sgt Robert F. Jarvis (R)(*)
(*) Completed combat tours
- 2Lt Vernon B. Newman (CP) - Flew first 4 missions with other Pilots.
Upgraded from CoPilot to Pilot on 06 October 1944 and flew his final missions
as a 1st Pilot.
- 2Lt Charles F. Scholz (N) - Flew five missions with the Hamilton Crew.
Last 303rd mission on 08 July 1944. Crew then flew with other Navigators.
- 2Lt Charles Ziesche (B) - Flew 15 missions with the Hamilton crew. Last
303rd mission on 24 August 1944. Crew then flew with other Bombardiers or Toggliers.
- Sgt John D. Privette (WG) - Flew one mission with the Hamilton crew on
06 July 1944. Deleted from crew when crew size was changed from ten
to nine men by eliminating one of the two Waist Gunner positions. Was
reassigned to the 449th BS (M)/322rd BG(M) flying in B-26 twin-engine bombers with
the 9th Air Force at Beauvais/Tille, France.
- S/Sgt Charlie Barnes (E/WG) - Crew position changed from Engineer to
to Waist Gunner, after 20 missions, on 28 September 1944.
- S/Sgt Edward B. Butler (WG/E) - Crew position changed from Waist Gunner/Assistant Engineer to Engineer, after 20 missions, on 08 September 1944
[photo courtesy of John C. Privette, son of John D. Privette]
[Researched by 303rdBGA Historian Harry D. Gobrecht]