JOSEPH E. "JAY" TROJAN CREW - 360th BS
(Lt Trojan assigned 359th BS: 22 July 1943)
(Upgraded from CoPilot, 1Lt John W. Farrar Crew, to Pilot: 22 March 1943)
1Lt Joseph E. Trojan (P)(POW),
1Lt Thomas S. Vaughn (CP)(KIA),
1Lt Parley W. Madsen, Jr.(358BS-N)(POW),
1Lt Jack W. Stewart (B)(POW)
S/Sgt Paul H. Prescott (E)(POW/DOW),
S/Sgt Cecil E. Craft (R)(POW),
S/Sgt Joseph R. Sunderlin (BTG)(POW),
S/Sgt Martin A. Semonick (WG)(POW),
S/Sgt Lincoln T. O'Connell (WG)(POW),
S/Sgt Frank W. Bartlett (TG)(POW/WIA)
Crewmen on Lt Trojan's last combat mission on 29 May 1943
Twenty-one dispatched (17 credited) Combat missions flown by 1Lt Joseph E.
Missions flown by Lt Trojan with his final mission crewmen:
- As Tail Gunner/Observer: 1Lt John W. Farrar (P) -2 (A) (18 Nov 1942)
- As CoPilot: 1Lt John W. Farrar (P) - 9, 10, 11, 14(A), 17, 18, 20, 21(AS), 23, 25(AS), 27, 28, 29, 35; 1Lt David S. Clifton (P) - 29 (5 Apr 1943); 1Lt Joseph F. Palmer (P) - 31 (17 Apr 43)
- As Pilot: Lt Joseph F. Palmer (CP) - 30 (15 Apr 43) & 31; Lt Arthur C. Way (CP) - 33 (A);
Lt John J. Caselo (CP) - 37, Lt Thomas S. Vaughn (CP) - 39 (A) & 40
(29 May 1943).
- Two Mission 39(A) & 40:1Lt Thomas S. Vaughn (CP); 1Lt Parley W. Madsen, Jr.
(N)(358BS crewman); S/Sgt Martin A. Semonick (WG)
- Three Missions 37, 39(A) & 40: S/Sgt Cecil E. Craft (R)
- Four Missions 35, 37, 39(A) & 40: S/Sgt Paul H. Prescott (E)
- Thirteen Missions 2(A),9,10,11,17,18,20,21,23,33(A),37,39(A) & 40: 1Lt Jack
W. Stewart (B)
- Thirteen Missions 9, 10, 11, 17, 18, 20, 21, 23, 33(A), 35, 37, 39(A) & 40: S/Sgt
Joseph R. Sunderlin (BTG)
- Fourteen Missions 9, 10, 17, 18, 20, 21, 23, 27, 28, 33(A), 35, 37, 39(A) & 40: S/Sgt
Lincoln T. O'Connell (WG)
- Fifteen Missions 9, 10, 11, 17, 18, 20, 21, 23, 25, 27, 33(A), 35, 37, 39(A) & 40: S/Sgt
Frank W. Bartlett (TG).
For mission dates and targets see the missions list
1Lt Joseph E. Trojan (P) - CoPilot on the original 360th BS 1Lt John W. Farrar Crew - 14 credited missions. Upgraded from CoPilot to Pilot on orders dated 22 March 1943. First of three credited missions as Pilot on 15 April 1945. Final mission 29 May 1945.
Mission #40, 29 May 1943, to St. Nazaire, France in original B-17F #41-24602
Yardbird (360BS) PU-A. Was disabled by flak in the target area and was
subsequently hit by attacking FW-190s and ME-109s. Exploded with a burst of fire
when it hit the ground near Pleubian, France. 1Lt Vaughn (CP) was Killed in Action. Other crewmen
made parachute jumps and became POWs. S/Sgt Prescott (E) died of his wounds
on 4 June 1943 while a POW in a German hospital at Paris-Clichy. He is buried
in the Epinal American Cemetery near Vosges, France. S/Sgt Bartlett (WG) was
badly wounded and was repatriated in 1944.
Nicky (DeVito) Desersa, S/Sgt Lincoln T. O'Connell and Helen (Gill) Powers at an event in 1945
[Researched by Historian Harry D. Gobrecht - O'Connell photo courtesy of Steve Andruszkewicz]