THOMAS J. QUINN CREW - 359th BS
B-17F #42-3029 Wallaroo (359BS) BN-N
(crew assigned 359BS: 07 Sep 1943 - photo: 13 Sep 1943)
F/O Thomas J. Quinn (P),
F/O William E. Eisenhart (CP),
1Lt Roland Van Zandt (B),
2Lt Oscar D. Howlett (N)
S/Sgt Elwood R. Pelkey (TG),
T/Sgt Ralph M. Holper (E),
T/Sgt Joseph Vieira (R),
S/Sgt Harvey F. Bergman (BT),
S/Sgt James B. Reynolds (WG),
S/Sgt Joseph J. Kalafut (WG)
Missions flown by the Thomas J. Quinn Crew:
Combat crew missions - Nineteen (70 (16 Sept 43), 71, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79(AS), 80, 81, 82, 84, 85, 90, 92, 93, 95, 101(29 Jan 44)
Lead Crew missions - Eleven (102 (30 Jan 44),104, 109, 110, 118, 129, 133, 138, 146, 157 (22 May 44)
For mission dates and targets see the missions list.
- Missions flow with Lt Quinn - All original crewmen flew on all of the 19
missions before 2Lt Quinn became a Lead Crew Pilot, with the following
exceptions where substitute crewmen were used. All crewmen completed their combat tours:
- William E. Eisenhart (CP) - Did not fly on six missions (80, 81, 82, 84, 85, 101) while recovering from a bout with Hepatitis
- Roland Van Zandt (N) - Did not fly on one mission (101)
- Harvey F. Bergman (BTG) - Did not fly on six missions (82, 84, 85, 90, 92, 93)
- James P. Reynolds (WG) - Did not fly on one mission (82).
- Capt Thomas J. Quinn (P) - First mission (70) flown with a combat
orientation Pilot. All missions flown without an abort. Promoted to Captain on his
last lead crew mission (22 May 44). Combat tour completed on 6 Mar 44 but flew five
additional lead crew missions. Seven of the lead Crew missions flown with
Squadron Commander Lt Col Richard H. Cole (102, 104, 109, 118, 133, 138, 146).
Remained in the USAF after WWII and retired in 1963 as a LTCol.
- Capt William E. Eisenhart (CP) - Flew on thirteen missions with the Capt Quinn crew (71, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 90, 92, 93, 95,157). Substitute CoPilots used
on other combat crew missions. Upgraded from CoPilot to Pilot on 20 Feb 1944 and flew 26
missions as a Pilot. Last seventeen missions flown as a Lead Crew Pilot or CoPilot.
Completed combat tour on 29 May 44 and volunteered for a second combat tour.
39th and last mission flown on 17 April 1945. Became 359th BS Operations
Officer. Married Mary M. Shore, a nurse stationed at the nearby 303rd
General Hospital. Remained in USAF after WWII and retired in 1977 as a
Colonel. Was a Past President of the 303rd Bomb Group Association.
- T/Sgt Joseph Vieira (R) - Flew on 26 missions with Lt Quinn as Pilot and 8
missions with Lt Eisenhart when he was a Pilot. Completed his combat tour on
17 April 1945 and volunteered for a second combat tour. First mission on 16 Sept
1943. Last mission on 17 April 1945. Flew on 53 actual missions (48 credited) - thirty
four as a Lead Crew Radio Operator. Remained in the USAF after WWII and
retired in 1962 as a Chief Master Sgt. Was one of the founders of the
303rd Bomb Group Association and a Past President.
[photo from the 303rdBGA Archives - identification by Joseph Vieira]
[Researched by Historian Harry D. Gobrecht]