WILLIAM J. LOWRY CREW - 359th BS
B-17G Lucille #43-38608 (359BS) BN-E
(crew assigned 359BS: 27 Mar 1945 - photo: 29 Mar 1945)
2Lt William J. Lowry (P),
F/O Ralph S. Bennett (CP),
1Lt Irving Wort (B),
2Lt Stuart K. Wood (N)
Sgt Merritt L. Moots (TG),
S/Sgt Joseph R. Madden (WG),
Nine dispatched and credited combat missions of 2Lt William J. Lowry:
Sgt Emanual Warcholak (BT),
Sgt William B. Thomas (R),
S/Sgt Joseph J. Manina (E)
(Ranks and grades at time of last combat mission)
352 (5 April 1945), 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 361, 362, 364 (25 April 1945)
Four B-17Gs flown by 2Lt William J. Lowry on his nine credited combat missions:
Original Crewmen - In crew photo
- 44-6309 (P) Duchess' Grandmother (359BS) BN-T - Mission 352
- 43-38883 Lady Beth (359BS) BN-A - Missions 353, 354
- 42-107206 Old Black Magic (359BS) BN-R - Missions 355, 356, 357, 361, 362
- 43-38682 (No name) (359BS) BN-K - Mission 364
(P) See: Nose Art Photo
Note: No combat missions flown in crew photo B-17G #43-38608 Lucille (359BS) BN-E
Six Substitute Crewmen - not in crew photo
- 2Lt William J. Lowry (P) - First three missions flown as CoPilot with Combat orientation Pilots.
Other missions flown as First Pilot. Last mission (364) flown with the 427th BS Formation.
- F/O Ralph S. Bennett (CP) - Flew on five missions with the 2Lt Lowry crew (355, 356, 357, 361,
362). Three missions flown with three other Pilots (352, 354, 364). Eight missions flown.
- 2Lt Stuart K. Wood (N), Sgt Emanual Warcholak (BTG), Sgt Martin L. Moots (TG) - All missions flown with 2Lt Lowry crew. No missions with other pilots. Nine missions flown.
- 1Lt Irving Wort (B) - Flew on three missions with the 2Lt Lowry crew (352, 353, 364).
Four missions flown with four other Pilots (354, 357, 358, 362). Seven missions flown.
- S/Sgt Joseph J. Manina (E) - Flew on eight missions with the 2Lt Lowry crew (352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 361, 362) and no missions with other Pilots. Eight missions flown.
- Sgt William B. Thomas (R) - Flew on eight missions with the 2Lt Lowry crew (352, 353, 354, 355,
356, 361, 362, 364 and no missions with other Pilots. Eight missions flown.
- S/Sgt Joseph R. Madden (WG) - Flew on no missions with the 2Lt Lowry crew. All of the 2Lt
Lowry missions flown without a Waist Gunner. Flew on three missions with three other Pilots:
As Tail Gunner (354); as Togglier (361, 362)
Two Radio Counter Measure Operator crewmen utilized
- 2Lt Hower E. Bitler, Jr. (P) - As Combat Orientation Pilot (352) - Sub for 2Lt Lowry (P) who flew
- 2Lt Emerson E. Heller (P) - As Combat Orientation Pilot (353, 354) - Sub for 2Lt Lowry (P) who
flew as CoPilot
- 2Lt Eugene H. Farland (CP) - Mission 364 - Sub for F/O Bennett (CP)
- Sgt John B. Beam (Tog) - Mission 354 - Sub for 1Lt Wort (B)
- Sgt Andy D. Nicholas (Tog) - Five missions 355, 356, 357, 361, 362) - Sub for 1Lt Wort (B)
- S/Sgt Donald W. Anderson (E) - Mission 364 - Sub for S/Sgt Manina (E)
- T/Sgt John F. Wysocki (R) - Mission 357 - Sub for Sgt Thomas (R).
[photo courtesy of Stuart K. Wood]
- S/Sgt Lewis E. Carl (RCM) - Missions 356, 361, 362
- Sgt John M. Ladd (RCM) - Mission 357
[Researched by Harry D. Gobrecht, 303rdBGA Historian Emeritus]