RICHARD B. BURTON CREW - 358th BS
(crew assigned 358BS: 07 Apr 1945 - photo: 09 Apr 1945)
F/O Clyde W. Brough (Nav)(2),
2Lt Richard B. Burton (P)(1),
2Lt Harold K. Ludlow (CP)(3)
Sgt Harmon E. Amos (BTG)(4),
Sgt Edward P. Salm (Rad)(4),
Sgt Everett E. Strahan (TG)(4),
T/Sgt Cecil J. King (Eng)(4),
Sgt Alexander L. Blondeau (Tog)(4),
Sgt Lewis G. Nance (WG)(5)
Members of the Lt Burton crew flew on four combat missions (Except as noted).
- #360 - 15 April 1945 to Gun Emplacements at Royan, France
- #362 - 17 April 1945 to Friedrichstadt Railroad Marshaling Yard, Dresden,
Germany. Two 303rd BG(H) B-17's shot down
- #363 - 20 April 1945 to Railroad Marshaling Yard, Treunbrietzen, Germany
- #364 - 25 April 1945 to Skoda Armament Works, Pilsen, Czechoslovakia
(303rd BG(H) last combat mission). One 303rd BG(H) B-17 shot down.
[photo from the 303rdBGA Archives - identification by Harmon E. Amos and Grandaughter Chanci Highley]
- 2Lt Richard B. Burton (P) - Flew his first three missions as CoPilot with
Lt Walter W. Kamstra as Pilot. Lt Kamstra was a member of the Lt Morton
C. Perkins. Crew assigned 358th BS on 2 Feb 1945. Flew 23 combat missions.
Missions with the Burton Crew were his first after being upgraded from CoPilot
- F/O Clyde W. Brough (Nav) - Did not fly on mission #360. Substitute
Navigator was F/O Julius Leonhirth who was assigned to the 358th BS on 19 Dec 1945
as the 2Lt Donald R. Walter Crew Navigator. F/O Leonhirth flew on 33
combat missions, first four with the Walter Crew. Lt Walter was made a Lead
Crew Pilot and F/O Leonhirth then flew as a substitute Navigator with 14 different
Pilots and crews.
- 2Lt Harold K. Ludlow (CP) - Flew only on mission #364 with the Lt Burton
- Sgt Alexander L. Blondeau (Tog), T/Sgt Cecil J. King (Eng), Sgt Edward P.
Salm (Rad), Sgt Harmon E. Amos (BTG), Sgt Everette E. Strahan (TG)
flew on all four of the Lt Burton Crew missions.
- Cpl Lewis G. Nance (WG) - Removed from the Lt Burton Crew before the
crew's first combat mission. The Waist Gunner position had been deleted from
303rd BG(H) crews. Flew no 303rd BG(H) combat missions.
[Researched by 303rdBGA Historian Harry D. Gobrecht]